Things were way different this morning in the breakfast room. When I first got down there at shortly after 6:30 it was about the same as normal. As time passed the number of people there grew and grew until there was not a table available. I have stayed at this hotel a lot over the years but never over a weekend. The breakfast gal said that it was really a weekend place and Saturday mornings were almost always like this. She is something. She zips back and forth never stopping and always going at full speed……I think that she drinks too much of her own coffee. There was a kid there also…..I say “kid” but I’m guessing he was in his early 20s. He asked me if I was there for the Dream Cruise. I told him that I wasn’t but that I was there to see my kids and grandkids, go to 50th Class Reunion, and to take a great ride from Florida to Michigan and back. He was visibly amazed……I’m not sure what part amazed him the most. I think it was that I was getting around without a walker and oxygen tank…..being a veteran of the Revolutionary War and all.

I told him that I did the Woodward Dream Cruise when it could have been called the Woodward REALITY Cruise. I was in the generation that was the actual reason that there is a Woodward Dream Cruise at all. On Friday and Saturday nights out we would go and CRUISE Woodward Ave between Pontiac and Ferndale. The street drag races that went dream cruisefrom traffic light to traffic light were famous throughout the country. The muscle cars of the day…..the GTO, Chevelle, 442, Roadrunner, and Charger to name a few……..roamed the hallowed lanes of the WIDE Woodward Ave looking for victims. Sometimes their challenge would land them in defeat but there was always the next traffic light for another try with the same or a new adversary. All of these festival happenings that take part on the third weekend of each August along the Woodward corridor is brought to you by the cruising generation of 1957-1969…..YOU’RE WELCOME.   You can read more about the Woodward Ave Dream Cruise at

After breakfast it was time to go out and find a new helmet to replace the one that had its face shield ripped off by the wind on I-94. My first stop was almost right across the street from the hotel at a place called Bowman’s. It is a power sport place and I was hoping that I would find a helmet fitting my criteria on my first stop.   My “need” was a ¾ helmet with a flip up face shield. They had some ¾ helmets but none with the flip up shield. So “boo-hiss”……I had to move on. I headed up M-59 a couple more miles and pulled into ABC wp-1471874697504.jpgHarley Davidson. They had EXACTLY what I wanted but, of course, every helmet like what I wanted had a big “HARLEY DAVIDSON” scripted across the sides. That doesn’t really bother me…… because the helmet is perfect and just what I wanted/needed……that is, after all, the important part. It is the Harley riders that think it’s sacrilegious to wear the Harley name while riding the Yamaha!!!

It was then time for lunch!!! Yay!!! I like my food times. I was alone so I thought that I would send out a call for lunch companions. I got on the social media and sent out the message asking if anyone wanted lunch in Waterford. I quickly got a reply from my niece who said that she would be happy to bring her boys and meet up with me.   Hmmmm…..where should we go? I’ve got it……….a CONEY ISLAND. So we met at Classic Coney Island in Clarkston. Wow!! Coney dogs two days in a row……once with a great friend and now with “da kin folk”!!!! Doesn’t get much better than this.

After some goodbye hugs I jumped back on the bike and ran into Pontiac and the Mt. Hope Cemetery where we buried my grandmother in 1970. I always stop there during all my visits to the home town. It is a good time to sit and meditate and reflect on life. She was a great woman who didn’t have a hateful bone in her body and was loved by wp-1471874636302.jpgEVERYONE…..oh yeah, and I just happened to be her favorite….a fact that I am often reminded by my siblings (I do hold onto the title proudly though!!)!! Leaving the cemetery I shot back into Waterford and took a run through the old hood and then back to the hotel.

I had an hour or so before I had to start getting ready for the class reunion so I propped myself on the bed with the computer on my lap to do some catching up on things. The next thing that I knew I was waking up with about 15 minutes left before I had to leave. I rushed around wishing I had some of the breakfast gal’s energy and was able to gt myself in a reasonable state of proper appearance (my opinion) and out I went. At the time there were storms all around the area but the great gods of school reunions was shining down and gave me 8 mile rain free path to the banquet hall located in Keego Harbor, MI. I was wearing my new HARLEY DAVIDSON helmet with the face shield just in case it rained so I carried it in with me. I ran into a friend right away, Rod, who said “hey man, you can leave the helmet behind the bar if you want……I know the gal who’s bartending”. Of course you do Rod!!! With Rod’s assistance the helmet was safely stowed behind the bar. It wouldn’t be hard to retrieve since I was the only 68 year old coming to a reunion in stormy weather riding on a motorcycle……go figure.

The reunion was fantastic. If you happen to be the type of person that likes hanging around a room full of old, retired people talking about who they kissed under the bleachers a half century ago then this would have been the place for you. I marveled at the work the planners must have done over the past year to put this thing together.   I can only imagine the fear they must have had making all the deposit checks on the faith that they would get enough OLD people willing to stay out after dark to pay them back. It was a tremendously fun night and I’m already looking forward to our 100th!!

As it approached the time for me to leave I retrieved my helmet, said a lot of goodbyes, and headed out to the bike. While in the banquet hall the cold front had moved through, the rain had all moved well to the east, and although the roads were wet there was no rain in the air and the ride back to the hotel was a fantastic one.

It had been a really great day and I went to bed thanking God for a lot of stuff…..

I hope that you enjoy my trip as you read along with my traveling. Don’t forget that anytime you might feel it appropriate you may “Like” or “Share” this or any of the posts on social media which would, of course, give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. You can also drop me a line or leave me a comment. You can write to me at using “Your Blog” as the subject line. You can check me out on Facebook by going to also because I will generally have more pictures and comments over there. Also you can read the blog about my 2015 road trip from Florida to Michigan at   Lastly, you can look at pictures of my past yearly road trips to Michigan dating back to 2009 at


One thought on “CHAPTER “10”….DAY 6…2016 FLORIDA TO MICHIGAN ROAD TRIP!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s