Once again I started out with virtually no plans AT ALL for the day. My assumption for the day was that I would flit around a little bit sightseeing the area. I figured that I would stop somewhere for lunch and then spend a good part of the day catching up on the blog, doing some online banking, and taking the well-deserved NAP.   SILLY ME!!!!!

I did the normal morning getting up, calling Lisa, and heading down for breakfast. While at breakfast I wrote an email and then tried to figure out what I was going to do with the helmet. I had sent a friend, Kirk, a message saying I had it and I described it. His daughter was the one that replied and she that “yeah HE would take it.” He only lives a couple miles from the Quality Inn so after eating and doing my computer work I grabbed the helmet and headed over to his house.

I pulled into Kirk’s driveway and his daughter came out to meet me. I handed her the helmet and she told me her dad would be right out. I’ve known Kirk and his parents since he was 13 or 14 and even though he is now 50 or so and retired from General Motors he is still 13 or 14 to me.   We sat out in his garage/driveway for a little over an hour chit chatting….mostly about motorcycles. He has the same model bike that I do except his is a couple years older.   His daughter joined us for a bit. She just graduated from high school and is about to head off to college. Being good OLD people we spent our time making fun of the teenager…….being old can be fun!!

About that time I got a phone call. The only thing surprising about that is the fact that it is a major rarity that I ever get a phone call. When I do I am generally being asked to vote for someone who will make my life REALLY better or to upgrade my credit card so that my credit limit will be above my lifetime earning potential. Most always I look at the screen and if there isn’t a name there that I recognize I will let my voice mail (I call that voice my secretary so I feel much more important) handle the situation. The number was a local number from the Waterford area and I know that it is unlikely that I will be getting telemarketing calls from this area. I excused myself with Kirk and answered. It was Bob from my graduating class to tell me that he and some other guys from the class were going to be meeting at the local VFW. That sounded great. I told him it would be perfect because I hadn’t eaten lunch yet and I would get to visit with those guys again. He kind of paused and then said that I could probably get something thrown into the microwave or maybe there would be some popcorn but in all fairness I should probably eat before I go.

Since that was only a little over an hour away I started the “see you later” phase with Kirk. I headed out and as soon as I started I felt that something was wrong.   Hmmm, what could it be? I got to the corner of his street and the highway, pulled out, and then it came to me………………..I forgot my jacket!!! I made a quick right at the next corner and did a tour around the block. I pulled back in front of his house, ran up, and grabbed the jacket………and I was off again. My next dilemma was where I was going to go to eat. So many choices…..what to do…..what…….to………do?   You will note here that vacationing is not always easy and has many stressful situations.   I pondered and struggled with this latest decision and then the proverbial light clicked on in my head. Unfortunately it is only a night-light so I got two of the new Classic Grilled Hot Dogs at Burger King. Laugh if you will but I will give them two thumbs up!!

VFW Post 1008 Waterford, MI

I pulled into the VFW and before long there were 10 of us there. It was another great time. Bob was busy playing Keno and instructing others on how they could their money also.   Bill, Rod, and Dave were reliving some HILARIOUS adventures of high school and after.   There was a lot of laughing, talking, sharing, and….if you were listening to Bob…..losing money. After a couple of hours of this I got a text message from an old friend that I haven’t seen in about 35 years. EVERY TIME that I am in Michigan and keep everyone posted on where I am and what I am doing she will tell me that she’ll try to make it and for one reason or another she can’t make it. She saw my Check-In on Facebook that I was at the VFW and asked if I was still there. I shot back an affirmative reply. Her next message was asking how long I would be there and the only intelligent answer I could come up with was “I really don’t know”.   The phone, at that point, went quiet. About 15 minutes later in walks Ruthanne. What a surprise that was. I did the introductions around the table and she recognized one of the gals sitting there and soon was right into all the conversation like everyone else.


After a few minutes I was realizing that the fulfillment that I had gotten from eating the hot dogs was starting to wear off and that I would soon need to replace them. Up to this point the conversation was whatever the table was talking about. Ruthanne and I hadn’t been able to go over OLD times when her kids were young and I was hanging out some with her and her husband. So I suggested that we get out and go talk about what all that been happening in the last three and a half decades as well as reliving some of what we all did back in the OLD days………..and while we are at it we might as well grab a supper also.

I went around the table and said goodbye to everyone…..that added about a half hour to our stay. We left with Ruthanne following me to the hotel. I got off the bike and went to her car. I still had my jacket on so I threw it in her backseat. We drove to Dave & Amy’s restaurant in White Lake. We went into the restaurant around the 5:30 mark, ordered our food, ate, and talked…………..and talked………and talked. Finally at 9:30 she said that she HAD TO go because she was having windows installed EARLY the next day and she still had to move everything away from all her windows and take down all window treatments. I agreed saying that I was behind typing blog postings and should get busy. So she dropped me off at the hotel, I waved, and away she went. I walked up to the room and as I walked in…….I FORGOT MY JACKET!!! Dagnabit……Well, it was now 10:00 and that jacket would be waiting until tomorrow!!!!

I hope that you enjoy my trip as you read along with my traveling. Don’t forget that anytime you might feel it appropriate you may “Like” or “Share” this or any of the posts on social media which would, of course, give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. You can also drop me a line or leave me a comment. You can write to me at using “Your Blog” as the subject line. You can check me out on Facebook by going to also because I will generally have more pictures and comments over there. Also you can read the blog about my 2015 road trip from Florida to Michigan at   Lastly, you can look at pictures of my past yearly road trips to Michigan dating back to 2009 at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s