I did something this morning that I haven’t done in a long, LONG time…..I over slept. That is if you call sleeping until 6:15 instead of 5:45 oversleeping. It is a rare morning indeed when Lisa is up before I am. It is just the natural order of things. She was a good wife…..she woke up, took the dog out, fed the dog, and started getting ready for work and all the time letting me sleep. Hmmm, it felt kind of good. I wonder if this will become a habit??

Lisa left for work right on time. Just as she was leaving I received a text from Sherry confirming my address and telling me that they were on the way. They pulled into the driveway at 8:20 and within minutes we were back on the road heading for Gainesville, GA.

We made a quick Starbuck’s stop near Lake City but it was just a quick stop. We didn’t stop again until Lenox, GA where Tony gassed up and we bought an armload of HEALTHY snacks. You know that is a lie because it is impossible to go into a convenience store and get an ARMLOAD of healthy. Among other stuff there was a bag of pretzels, M&M’s, cinnamon roll, Coke, & a 3 Musketeers. I hope that my doctor isn’t one of the four people reading this blog.

The rest of the drive was a bit uneventful. As I have said before “uneventful” driving on I-75 is a good thing. We pulled into Sherry’s driveway at 3:45.

Sherry’s son, Kyle, greeted us along with Sherry’s new puppy. She is a six month old pile of energy…the puppy not Sherry. After a little bit of freshening up we were back in the car heading for Sherry’s parents’ house. Her mom, Judy, is my first cousin who has been almost as close as a sister for as long as I can remember. Not only are we cousins but we are great friends. Her husband, David, is a super guy that has always been an inspiration. They both have worked hard all their lives to support their family and they continue to work hard. Their hard work has paid off in a lot of different ways.

On the way there we were talking about all the different foods that we could take. We just wanted this to be a restful visit without anyone having to cook or fuss around. Tony and Sherry dropped me off and went on to pick up pizza and some Chinese (food not people).

While they were gone I visited with David and Judy for a few minutes before Sherry’s other son, Seth, arrived with his NEW fiancé, Summer. I had never met Summer before and if my opinion means anything Seth did good. He just popped the question over the weekend. That was obviously the talk of the night. I had to sit back and smile at how well Seth and Summer were handling Judy and Sherry trying to take over ALL the planning. Little does that young couple know but they are going to have that “HELP” in planning until about 5 ½ minutes before the ceremony. It will only stop then because the mother and grandmother of the groom will be escorted to their seats!!

Shortly after 8:00 we got ready to head back to Sherry’s. We were all tired and tomorrow Sherry & Tony had to return to work and I had a 500 mile ride. I did get a chance to show them the Head’s Up game that Laura had shown me over the weekend. Then we hugged everyone goodbye and off we went. We were back at Sherry’s right around 9:00 and by 9:30 Tony had gone home and we were all going to bed.il_340x270_425383324_5vx4


Today is the final day of the trip that has taken up all these pages. I woke up at 5:00 at the same time as Kyle was stirring. He started the coffee pot and I got myself ready for the morning. After starting the coffee he made his way back to his bedroom. I packed up what little bit I brought with me, called Lisa to get her up for work, wrote some notes in my journal, drank my coffee. I thought that by that time I would see Kyle again and that maybe Sherry would have gotten up…..nope, not a creature was stirring not even a 6 month old puppy!!

I tiptoed out to the garage and rolled the Yamaha out to the driveway. I loaded everything up and closed the garage. Back in the house there was still no movement. I had told Sherry that I would be waking up and leaving immediately. I wrote her a very sincere thank you note for all she had done for me the last few days and……I was off.

I weaved my way from her house to U.S. 129. When Tony drove out yesterday afternoon and when we returned last night I followed along on Google Maps on my phone and memorized how to negotiate the various turns to find my way out. Once again I have to say…..I LOVE THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY! I followed 129 to Athens where I picked up U.S. 441. I would be staying on 441 all the way through Georgia and to Lake City, FL.

I am not ashamed to say that I was anxious to get home and make the final turn of this 24 day vacation into my driveway. I did my first gas stop in Madison, GA. This is a great town that has many Civil War era houses that were spared from Sherman’s burning of Georgia. If you are every cruising around North Central Georgia I recommend a stop in Madison. Some of the houses and adjoining yards are truly fantastic.

I made my next stop in Dublin and then Pearson, GA. That put me a bit over half way. All my stops were getting gas, buying a bottle of water, texting Lisa, and jumping back on the bike. My last gas stop was in Lake City, FL. There I left 441 and jumped on Florida State Rd 100 which took me southeast across Florida’s peninsula to U.S. 1 at Bunnell. A quick turn south brought me home.

I pulled into the driveway just before 4:00 and the trip was over and what a great trip it was. I’ll recap that in the last Chapter. Talk to you then.

I hope that you enjoy my trip as you read along with my traveling. Don’t forget that anytime you might feel it appropriate you may “Like” or “Share” this or any of the posts on social media which would, of course, give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. You can also drop me a line or leave me a comment. You can write to me at using “Your Blog” as the subject line. You can check me out on Facebook by going to also because I will generally have more pictures and comments over there. Also you can read the blog about my 2015 road trip from Florida to Michigan at   Lastly, you can look at pictures of my past yearly road trips to Michigan dating back to 2009 at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s